Did the mowing this morning–front and back. Also pulled some weeds. Fortunately, the weed barrier out back is keeping the weeds away. A few grew just outside the barrier so I pulled those but no more forest of weeds!
I decided this weekend the yard needed some attention. First and foremost I felt like the car-park out back had been taken over by weeds and needed rescue. I went out this morning and started pulling. After 2 hours in the roughly six square feet I had cleared all of it and gotten it bagged. I covered the triangle with weed barrier left over from last year’s project out front. My hope is that will give me a break from weeding until I have the chance to decide what to do with it. It will also be nice, once the trash is collected (I produced 6 bags full) to be able to park back there. This will also make sukkah building time easier.
I pulled some more weeds and did a little bit of directed watering on the new flowers planted yesterday. Randy, my father-in-law, was nice enough to mow our lawn and to work on the edges of the grass against the walkways in the front of the house. He was out there working with a manual trimmer when Tod, our neighbor from across the street, came over with a gas powered edger which provided a perfectly cut edge. I love having neighbors!
Kelli and Will came over to dig in our dirt. In honor of Dana’s birthday, they pulled a bunch of lingering weeds from the patch just in front of the house and planted a number of perennials. They also were kind enough to put the plant I received as a gift into the ground. It’s a nice splash of color!
Got up this morning and did the morning watering. I also took the yard waste from the front out to the trash and found that someone had dumped a bunch of branches in our car-park. They didn’t even have the courtesy to cut them down into small enough pieces that the garbage men would be willing to collect them. It upset me enough that I turned my wrath to the massive weed garden I had growing back there: weeds taller than me. I didn’t clear the entire patch, I ran out of time, but I got through half of it. The entire patch is about 10 square feet so not bad for a morning’s work. Once I get it all clear I think I’m going to lay weed barrier I have left over from the around the silver maple in the front. I think I have enough to cover it and i don’t want to have to pull these weeds ever again! In other news, the roses are spectacular. They are even better than last year! Every day there are more open buds and every day there are new buds appearing getting ready to open. If only the rest of the flowers and non-weed-plants would be so self-maintaining!
The rain streak might have finally broken. It didn’t appear as though the yard got much rain this past day or two so I decided to water this morning. 20 minutes per side. I also did a tiny bit more rose bush trimming and pulled some weeds and shrooms. Looks like a little bit of attention did the roses a lot of good. Check out these photos (clicking the thumbnail opens the full size image in a new window).
Finally tackled the backyard. Got the jungle mowed down to a more reasonable height. I also pulled a bunch of weeds and did some serious prunning of the 4th of July Roses along the garage. Despite my cuts from the thorns it was totally worth it. It looks so much better. I also got the potted plant Cynthia gave me out in front of the house so it would get the sun and water it requires. I’d love to get it in the ground but I have no idea where and, at least for now, it’s doing fine in the pot.
Even though there were supposed to be thunderstorms yesterday, all we got was a 20 second drizzle around 4:30. As a result, I was out again this morning with the morning watering. I also did some weed pulling, especially around the silver maple along the street. 20 minutes per side of watering.
Decided to continue the epic struggle against the infestuous weeds in the flower beds in the front of the house. I manages to make it from where I stopped yesterday all the way to the corner of the property right at the edge of the irises. I filled another large trash bag and I would estimate that it weighed about 40-50 pounds when I was done. That’s exhausting!
After mowing I ran some errands and when I returned I decided to pull some weeds. The peonies and roses and irises were being chocked out by the massive weed-growth. I cleared most of the weeds from the walk to the north along the front of the house but I ran out of steam just after the peonies and roses. I guess the irises will have to wait. In terms of scale, I pulled enough weeds just in the roughly 18 square feet between the walk and the roses to fill a large trash bag. It made a huge difference! Getting rid of he weeds on other spots is going to help tremendously–once I find a combination of time and energy.