I found, after a quick search of the net, that Basil plants watered once a week thrive. Further, that basil plants like a lot of sun. After I purchased my basil plants and potted them in the potter Dana bought for my birthday a year ago, I figured water them once a week and put them in a place that gets lots of sun. I apparently was wrong. Denver is such a dry place that once a week wasn’t enough water. After watering them over the weekend, I figured I could wait until the following weekend to water them again. This evening I looked at the basil plants and they were completely wilted (a dramatic change from this morning when I saw new growth popping up). I immediately brought them inside and gave them a drink. The soil was bone dry and each of the three little pots (which are about 1 and 1/2 cups if I had to estimate) took nearly 1/2 cup of water. The soil soaked it up. We’ll see how they do with a day out of the sun.
Woke up early and did the morning watering. 20-minutes per side. The flowers look like they are flourishing. The tiger-eye is opening up like the picture on the box of plant food and the other flowers have big bright bids starting to open.
When I got up this morning I did the morning watering. When I first turned on the hose the sprinkler didn’t oscillate like it should. I walked over and the mechanism that normally causes it to move was disconnected. It may be nearing it’s end. Ug. It also looks like we need taller stakes for the roses and it looks like the tiger-eye that Kelli and Will planted is starting to open up. The weather report predicts heat again but also a possibility of a thunderstorm this afternoon or evening. I’m not holding my breath. I do wonder if it’s too late to plant herbs. Probably but if not perhaps I’ll indulge this weekend. We’ll see how my energy level holds up.
Got up this morning and did the morning watering. I also took the yard waste from the front out to the trash and found that someone had dumped a bunch of branches in our car-park. They didn’t even have the courtesy to cut them down into small enough pieces that the garbage men would be willing to collect them. It upset me enough that I turned my wrath to the massive weed garden I had growing back there: weeds taller than me. I didn’t clear the entire patch, I ran out of time, but I got through half of it. The entire patch is about 10 square feet so not bad for a morning’s work. Once I get it all clear I think I’m going to lay weed barrier I have left over from the around the silver maple in the front. I think I have enough to cover it and i don’t want to have to pull these weeds ever again! In other news, the roses are spectacular. They are even better than last year! Every day there are more open buds and every day there are new buds appearing getting ready to open. If only the rest of the flowers and non-weed-plants would be so self-maintaining!
Looks like we’ve got real growth. There are sprouts popping up everywhere. Check out the photo page.
I woke up this morning and went out to find sprouting (I think). I got the sprinklers going after snapping a few pictures.