Got up and went out to water. Weather report says there is a slight chance again for rain today and tomorrow but I’ll believe it when I see it. Mowing is certainly on the agenda sometime soon. It’s finally time to take the blade height down low. That should mean less mowing required. I also pulled some weeds but there is need to do a ton more weeding in the flower beds along the west side of the house and north side of the property in front. The back also needs a ton but I’m focused on the front this year.
I was really tired this morning so I did the watering but I didn’t do that much weeding. 20 minutes per side.
It was so wet over the weekend and into the start of the week that I didn’t bother wathering yesterday. Today, however, it was supposed to be sunny and warm with little to no chance of rain. Consequently, when I got up this morning I gave the yard a drink–20 minutes per side. I also did some weed pulling. Every little bit counts.
Finally got the mowing done between rain storms. Phew! That was a beast of a chore. I also got some weeds pulled in front. Nowhere near all of them but every little bit counts. We still have some bald spots and while I have nothing against baldies (being one myself) it would be nice if I could figure out how to get some grass growing on those spots. Ug.
We returned from L.A. today and it was in the 90s. When the sun started to set I went out and ran the sprinkler. I also pulled some massive mushrooms. Check the photo page for the images of the shrooms and the progress on the flowers planted around the tree out front.
Dana finished the brick border around the north end front garden. Becky appears to have finished weeding the garden plot in front of the car-park in back. Dana also added ground cover stones and borders to some of the areas on the south side of the house. Dana and I also picked up yard debris and filled another 5 trash bags.
It’s been nearly 3 weeks since we planted the new seed. The growth, old and new, has been great. So great, in fact, that the old growth was about a foot tall. It was time to mow. We borrowed the power mower from our neighbors across the street. It took three trash bags full of clippings to clear the front yard. It was like removing a bandage after cosmetic surgery. It was amazing to see the thick green grass. It is almost as if the damage done by the previous owens has been erased. In addition to mowing, Dana and I removed the deformed Aspen which was growing on the northwest corner of the house steeling all the light and neutrients of the plants around it. The corner looks so much better now (and will look even better if we can get the rose bush that was struggling beneath the Aspen to grow). Check out the photos.
Dana continued her weed pulling mission. The area around the tree in the front of the house from which we had removed the grass when we first moved in was being overtaken by weeds. We want to put in a border and fill that area with mulch but we needed to get rid of the weeds first. Dana filled a garbage bag with what I estimate was about 40 pounds of weeds. In addition to the weeding in the front, when I came home I found Becky, our neighbor from across the street, in the back pulling weeds. She had a garbage bag of her own filled as she cleared away the weeds at the base of our rose bushes which are now beginning to bloom (pictures later). We decided the grass was still wet from the midday watering and didn’t water.
Dana came home home midday to do some watering. She also pulled enough weeds that her hands were shaking. Weed-pulling is hard work!